A tree surgeon died when a chainshaw ‘kick-backed’ into his throat and almost decapitated him, an inquest heard. Grigore Bulbuc, 31, was pruning a large tree in a garden in Bermondsey, south London, on February 15 this year.

At around 11am, the top-handled chainsaw he was working with threw back and severed an artery and left jugular vein in his neck.

Chainsaw kickback occurs when the tool catches on the wood and can violently throw it backwards or upwards in an arc motion towards the operator.

Mr Bulbuc, who was originally from Romania but lived in Beckenham, south London, was employed by Aralia Tree Services and had a one-year-old son. He was just one week away from celebrating his 32nd birthday and had been living in the UK for the last 16 years.

Witnesses on Banyard Road, a quiet backstreet of £700,000 terraced homes near Southpark Park, said he was left dangling from his rope 20ft in the air before being pulled down. The accident happened just metres away from local primary Southwark Park Primary School.Work colleagues slammed a ladder against the tree and raced up it to try to bring Mr Bulbuc down.

Crane Falls On Home In Genoa Township

Air and road ambulances attended and emergency services ‘made repeated attempts to resuscitate him’, Southwark Coroner’s Court heard. He was resuscitated but sadly succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12.15pm.

Coroner Sarah Ormond-Walsh recorded the cause of death yesterday as haemorrhage, a severed left carotid artery and left jugular vein, and a deep left neck wound. Mr Bulbuc (pictured), originally from Romania, had been a tree surgeon for the best part of the last 10 years

Mr Bulbuc died when he was working

Mr Bulbuc (pictured) was just one week away from celebrating his 32nd birthday and had been living in the UK for the last 16 years

The jury delivered a conclusion of accidental death.

Speaking after Mr Bulbuc’s death, his brother Ioan Bulbuc, said he had lived in the UK for about 15 years.

He said: ‘He was always so happy. He was so happy to have a little boy. His birthday was next week, he was such a happy person.’

Marc Isitt said on Facebook: ‘Rest in peace Greg Bulbuc, an amazing bloke that sadly lost his life today while working.

‘My love goes out to his family and friends, you where taken way too soon dude and you will be sadly missed.’